Tuesday 5 May 2009

Aubergine & mushroom curry

I have been cooking quite a lot over the past couple of days, but I seem to have writer's block, because I cannot convert my thoughts into words. It is extremely annoying, but please bear with me! Anyways, I was in the same dilemma as last week before volleyball practice; "what to eat?". This time I decided not too go all crazy and use my imagination (like last week), but to follow a recipe, and it turned out great. Ok, I added my own twist to the recipe, I did not have all the required ingredients, but one day I will make it according to the exact recipe just to compare the two.
For my twisted recipe, scroll down.


I promise you, this dish will have
your house smelling like the most
fabulous curry-house.


Aubergine & mushroom curry
Serves 4

3 tbsp olive oil
2 aubergines, each cut into 8 chunks
250 g chestnut mushrooms, halved
20 g bunch coriander/cilantro, stalks and leaves separated
2 large onions
thumb-sized piece fresh root ginger
3 cloves garlic
1 fat chili, de-seeded and half roughly chopped
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp tomato purée
500 ml vegetable stock
5 tbsp ground almonds
200 ml natural full-fat yogurt
basmati rice, to serve

1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan, add the aubergines and fry for 10 minutes until golden brown and soft. Add the mushrooms, and fry for another 5 minutes. Tip out onto a plate.

2. Meanwhile, whizz the coriander stalks, onion, ginger, garlic and chopped chili in a food processor. Add another tbsp of oil to the pan, fry the paste for a few minute until softened.

3. Tip in the spices and tomato purée. Stir for 2 minutes, then return the vegetables to the pan. Pour in the stock, ground almonds and most of the yogurt. Simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened a little.

4. Serve with the basmati rice, sprinkle with the rest of the chilies and coriander leaves, and drizzle of the remaining yogurt.

- As seen in BBC Good Food Magazine, May 2009, UK Edition

My twisted version
Serves 2-3

3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 aubergines
6 small boiled potatoes, cut into quarters
20 g coriander/cilantro leaves and stalks
1 onion
1 cm ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic
1 dried chili, soaked to soften
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tomato, finely chopped
3- 4 dl chicken, or vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk
1 handful sugar snaps

1. Follow the instructions on #1 above, except substitute the mushrooms for potatoes.

2. Whizz coriander stalks AND leaves, onion, garlic, ginger and chili in a food mixer. Add ½ dl of coconut milk and mix again into a paste. Add another tbsp of oil to the pan and fry the paste for a few minutes, allowing some of the liquid to evaporate.

3. Follow the instructions on #3 above, but add the tomatoes and ketchup instead of tomato purée, and no almonds. Substitute the yogurt for coconut milk, I find it difficult to cook with yogurt as it always curdles and separates. Add some sugar snaps to the curry, allow them to heat.

Serve with basmati rice.

Enjoy!

No comments: