Thursday 30 April 2009

Put another shrimp on the barbie, mate!

To celebrate "Valborg" and May 1st in my own very special way I went out and bought a grill today. My intention was to assemble it, post pictures of the assembling, and then let you all take pity on me... And, this I will do, kind of.

You see, I failed to remember to take photos of the grill when it was still in parts just sitting there waiting to be assembled, and the actual act of assembling. Very annoying, but let me assure you, there were about 1000 different pieces of screws and bits of metal, a lot of looking at not very precise instructions, a lot of swearing, an awful lot of sweating, and countless thoughts along the lines of "what did I get myself into?". After unpacking the grill from it's square box, I took one look at the instructions and thought "oh boy, this is gonna take a while". Who would have guessed you'd have to have a degree in astrophysics to assemble a simple-looking grill?!

Anyway, I started to assemble the lid as this seemed to be the easy part. About half way through I decided I could not go on without making myself a drink first. So, off I went to the liquor cupboard. (Assembling a grill could send just about anyone running for the liquor). With a drink in one hand and a screwdriver in the other, I returned to previously described state of mind. I started screwing the legs into place, just to realize that left on the ground were 4 little cups which apparently were supposed to be attached to the legs, prior to screwing them onto the bottom of the grill... Like I had nothing better to do, nowhere else I'd rather be, I unscrewed the legs, put the little cups on and screwed the legs back on! Then came the struggle of trying to fit the wheels to the legs, then screw the screws into the tiniest holes known to mankind... I was contemplating a second, a third, and a forth drink at this point! Like there had been some kind of divine intervention I managed to fit all the parts together and....

...there is was, assembled and ready to be used! What a glorious sight it was, I could almost hear the heavenly choir singing "oh happy day", but just almost!

I am now fit, and ready, for a season of grilling delicious food!

BRING ON THE BARBIES!

No comments: