Tuesday 28 April 2009

Thai prawn risotto

Sometimes an idea sounds really good in my head, but laid out on paper, or as in this case on a plate, does not seem like an all that clever idea. That is what happened to me yesterday. I was in a hurry to make a quick dinner before I was off to volleyball practice. I had a craving for risotto but didn't really have all that much to put in it. The thought hit me, why not use the tiger prawns I have in the freezer and give the risotto a "Thai-twist" by marinating the prawns in Thai green curry paste? Ok, I must admit, following my train of thoughts on this one now tells me that it was really never a good idea to mix Thai and Italian cuisine. But I did not realize that yesterday, so I made Thai-inspired prawns on a bed of risotto. Obviously, it wasn't the tastiest dinner I have ever had, but it was eatable and the prawns were gorgeous.


Will-you-try-my-Thai-prawn risotto?

Serves 2

2 dl risotto rice
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ clove garlic, chopped
about 5 dl chicken/fish stock or 1 dl white wine and 4 dl stock
(however, I used ½ dl of coconut cream and 5 dl stock)

6 tiger prawns, peeled and de-veined
1 tsp vegetable oil
½ clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp Thai green curry paste
a pinch of chili-salt

1. Follow the instructions on the risotto rice package on how to best cook it.

2. Put the oil, garlic, curry paste, and chili salt in a bowl. Add the prawns and marinate for 15 minutes.

3.When the risotto is all but done, add the prawns to the pan and cook 'til the prawns are pink.

4. Plate, sprinkle with chopped red pepper and coriander/cilantro leaves.

No comments: