Sunday 22 August 2010

Malaysian Chicken Curry

I came across a recipe for Black Beef Cry Curry over at Fuss Free Cooking, and I immediately knew that this was a dish I really wanted to make one day. As I am a bit low on cash at the moment, I'm pretty much in-between jobs, I figured if I could make some minor adjustments to the original recipe I would be able to make it with the stuff I had in my pantry/fridge.

So, instead of the beef I used chicken, and I did not know exactly what kind of Malaysian curry powder she was referring to so I used the Malaysian meat curry powder I made a while ago. Also, I had never heard of Ketjap Manis, nor did I have money to buy it from the shop were I to come across it, so I decided to make my own from a recipe I found online. This did not turn out all that good, I think I just let the "sauce" reduce way too much, so instead of a syrup kind of liquid it turned out like thick, thick, thick syrup. I had to dilute it with hot water to even get the spoon into it. The moral of this story is; buy the Ketjap Manis at the shop!

Here's my version of Fuss Free Cooking's Black Beef Dry Curry.

Malaysian Chicken Curry
Serves 2
Adapted from Fuss Free Cooking

3 small chicken breasts, or 2 medium, diced
1 ½ tbsp Malaysian meat curry powder
water
2-3 tbsp Ketjap Manis
about 5 curry leaves
1 onion, sliced thinly
2 ½ garlic cloves, chopped roughly
½ inch ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 small green chilli, de seeded and halved
1 tomato, quartered
salt and sugar, to taste

1. Start by soaking the curry powder in the water for 30 minutes.

2. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the curry leaves. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and green chilli. Fry until fragrant.

3. Add in the curry and water mix and stir to combine. Fry for 10-15 minutes until the oil starts to separate.

4. Add in tomatoes, chicken, ketjap manis, and some salt and sugar. Also add in enough water to just cover the chicken and cook until the liquid has just about halved and the chicken is cooked through.

5. Serve with spiced rice or with a side of fresh salad.

I added some sweet corn at step 4 because I found an open box of sweet corn in the fridge that needed to be used up.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Hi Angelica,

Your version looks wonderful without the ketjap manis. :)

You've mentioned that you can tip the curry powder and water straight into step 3. I think you can get away by doing that if the curry powder is little. But say if you make a larger quantity where a lot of curry powder is required, it's advisable to soak the curry powder a little longer so that you're gravy doesn't feel "grainy". Believe me, I've tried skipping that step before, haha!

Anyway, thanks for trying the recipe. :)

Angelica said...

Hi Emily,

thanks for the nice comments. I did use a little bit of my homemade ketjap manis tho in the recipe.

Also thanks for pointing out that if you use a large quantity of the curry powder you would need to soak it prior to adding it to the stew. I should probably delete my comment in the recipe as not to confuse anyone :)

Also, the curry powder I used didn't seem to be the same as the one you used. Was yours store-bought or homemade?

Emily said...

Hi Angelica,

The curry powder I used is definitely store-bought. :P I don't own a grinder yet, so store-bought spices is still the way to go for me plus it's hassle free (no toasting of seeds and washing of grinder) :)