Friday 14 August 2009

Orange and lemon flavoured cupcakes


Despite the sun shining brightly outside, I am inside baking cupcakes. I had been sitting outside, reading food magazines , when I came across this recipe. It looked yummie, the yellowie cupcake with its blue frosting, topped off with black currants. How could I resist an image like that? I just had to make my own batch.

I tried to wait for as long as I possibly could before going back inside to bake the cupcakes. When I couldn't wait any longer, I kept telling myself that "well, it's 1p.m-ish, and that's when the sun shines at it brightest", as if that was of any concern to me; being born in India, the only time I'd ever gotten sunburned was once on a snowboarding trip to Chamonix, France. Apparently, high altitudes does burn even my Indian skin....

Orange and lemon flavoured cupcakes
Makes 16

3 eggs
150 g sugar
zest of one orange or lemon
200 g all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp powdered vanilla sugar
½ tsp salt
½ dl milk
3/4 dl orange juice
2 tbsp lemon juice

Frosting

200 g powdered sugar/icing sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp lemon- or lime juice
food colouring or fruit juice
fresh berries

Preheat your oven to 180°C

Beat the eggs and sugar together in a bowl. Add milk, lemon-/lime juice, and zest. Carefully fold in the flour mixed with baking soda, powdered vanilla sugar, and salt. Line an oven tray with 15-20 cupcake paper liners, or line standard cupcake tins with paper liners.Fill each paper liner 2/3 full. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool on wire racks.

Mix the icing sugar with water and lemon- or orange juice. Add a couple of drops of food coloring/fruit juice, stir. Using a spoon, garnish each cupcake with frosting and fresh berries.

På svenska
Citron- och apelsinmuffins

No comments: