Sunday 9 August 2009

Chilli beancurd and mixed oriental mushroom stir fry

Before I write anything else, allow me to issue a WARNING!! This dish is extremely spicy. My boyfriend almost self-combusted!

I don't even know what to write about this dish, it was probably one of the spiciest dishes I have ever cooked and/or tasted.

I blame the spicyness on the chili bean sauce; the recipe called for one entire tablespoon of this hellish sauce. I am not kidding you, I will NEVER use 1 whole tbsp of it ever again. NEVER!

Let's just get to the recipe, because the dish was really tasty, except for the feeling of being on the verge of bursting into flames.

Chili beancurd and mixed oriental mushroom stir fry
Serves 4
Ching He Huang

1 tablespoon groundnut oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 medium red chili, deseeded and chopped
100g oyster mushrooms, halved if large
100g enoki mushrooms, separated into small
bunches
100g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
400g fresh tofu (beancurd), cut into 2cm cubes
50ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon chili bean sauce DO NOT USE 1 TBSP! I'd use 1 tsp, maybe less!
dash of light soy sauce
2 spring onions, sliced diagonally
handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped

Heat the wok over a high heat and add the groundnut oil. Add the garlic, ginger
and chillies and stir fry for a few seconds.

Add the mushrooms and stir fry for less than one minute. Add the tofu and
carefully stir well.

Pour in the vegetable stock then add the chili bean sauce and light soy sauce
and cook for less than 1 minute. Add the sliced spring onions and coriander and
serve immediately.

I substituted the mushrooms in the recipe for button mushrooms and dried Chinese mushrooms, and the beancurd for chicken cut into bite size pieces.

No comments: