Saturday 30 January 2010

Golden spicy fish soup served with homemade naan

I've had this recipe for "Spicy fish soup with chapati" for a little over a week now, meaning to cook it but always finding myself cooking something else for dinner instead.

But last night, Friday night, I finally went to the supermarket to buy some fish, went home, and got cooking!

I must admit I don't really have any fond memories, or any memories at all, as a matter of fact, of fish soup growing up. I'm not complaining though, fish soup can be tricky to make and I'm a bit of a picky eater. Plus, I don't even think I have a proper mental picture of what a good fish soup should look like... Come to think of it, that's pretty sad.

Maybe my new mental image of good fish soup should be the soup I made last night. It was golden, creamy, spicy, and just delicious. My bf scored it as a 5 out of 6 (fresh fish, I used frozen, would have made it a 6), and I must agree with him, but not because of the fish, but because I didn't like that there were so much lentils in the soup. Next time I'm gonna half the amount of lentils I use. And maybe add in a splash of white wine. The original recipe calls for chapati bread but I make an awesome naan bread, so...!


Golden spicy fish soup served with homemade naan bread
Adapted from Arla.se
Serves 4

300 g firm fish, for example pollock (coaley), cod or salmon
1 leek, finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp turmeric
1 ½ tsp ground chili, or to taste
1½ tsp ground cumin, or to taste
2 cubes chicken stock
5 dl water
1 ½ dl red, or green lentils
5 dl cooking cream
½ tsp salt

Naan breadAdapted from bbcgoodfood.com
Serves 4

450 g all-purpose flour
7 g fast action yeast
300-350 ml water
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt

PS! If you are planning on using green lentils, either soak them in water for 1 hour, or add about 10 minutes cooking time.

Cut the fish into bite size pieces. Melt the butter in a saucepan, and sauté the leeks. Stir in the spices, chicken stock cubes, water and lentils. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Turn down the heat, add the fish and the cooking cream. Simmer for 3 minutes or until the fish is done. Add salt to taste.

While the soup is cooking, prepare the naan dough. Heat the grill in your oven to high. In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Make a well in the middle and water and oil. Mix to a rough dough. Leave it as it is for 5 minutes, than knead the dough for 1-2 minutes until smooth and springy. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to sit for 10 minutes. It won't double in size, but don't worry.

Roll the dough out into a circle on a floured surface. Cut the circle into pizza slices, 8 in total. Transfer to a lined baking tray and grill for 3-4 minutes, turning half way.

Serve the soup in individual bowls, sprinkle chopped leeks on top and drizzle with olive oil.

4 comments:

Susanne said...

I have to admit, even though it's a fish soup (and we all know I HATE fish) it looks REALLY good. One question though, what's fast action yeast? (For the bread that is)

I've been making all kinds of tasty foods these last couple of weeks. Be proud you've rubbed off on me! :D

Angelica said...

I'm glad you think it looks yummie, even though the photo is pretty rubbish! Fast action yeast is, in Swedish, torrjäst! I think it should be among the baking goods at the supermarket.

Tell me all about the yummie food you've cooked lately. Maybe you can inspire me, too :)

Susanne said...

Aha, torrjäst isn't so mysterious. I thought it was something new and exciting! Oh, well...

Let's see... I've made almost everything that looked good (and there was a lot!) från this month's Buffé... and some other stuff too. E.g. pasta & chicken salad, baked potato with curry & chicken stuffing, salmon wrapped in bacon with potatoes, lasagna (though, the kind from a box), pasta... eh... stew? No, that's not the right word... Aaanyway.. I also tried an "apple salsa", you know, like your salsa but with apples instead of tomatoes. Worked quite well. Can't remember what else...

Angelica said...

Oh it all sounds delicious! Do feel free to send me some recipes that you think I should try out.

I need ur help w something, I'll email you on fb.