Monday 10 August 2009

Orange flavoured chocolate cupcakes

Today's project, after yesterday's nearly lethal spicy dinner, is to make birthday cupcakes for my bf's dad who turns 70 today.

I have been browsing through different blogs looking for the perfect recipe. I knew what I wanted, something easy to make, but at the same time something utterly delicious. Don't know why I thought that one excluded the other!!

I stumbled across several recipes that sounded yummie, Martha has some great ones over @ MarthaStewart.com, but I decided on this recipe from DagensMuffins in the end. I tweaked it some, the original recipe does not call for orange zest....

Orange flavoured chocolate cupcakes
Makes 15-20

2 eggs
3 dl sugar
1 ½ dl all-purpose flour
4 tbsp cocoa
2 tsp powdered vanilla sugar
a pinch of salt
100 g margarine or butter, melted
zest from 1/4 orange
15-20 squares of chocolate

Pre-heat the oven to 200° C

Beat eggs and sugar together in a plastic bowl.

Add the flour, cocoa, powdered vanilla, and salt.

Whisk well to combine until smooth.

Add in the melted margarine/butter, and mix to combine.

Grate orange zest into the mixture, and whisk some more to combine.

Line an oven tray with 15-20 cupcake paper liners, or line standard cupcake tins with paper liners.

Fill each paper liner 2/3 full. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. When done, transfer onto wire racks, press a chocolate square into each cupcake, and set to cool allowing the chocolate to melt ontop of the chocolate cupcake.

No comments: